Monday, September 28, 2009

Well Blow Me Down!

Wow, is it ever windy today! I wonder if there is an actual name for "fear of the wind." Breezaphobia? I don't know, but I definitely have it. It all started back in May of 1998 when we experienced the worst wind storms ever recorded here in West Michigan. In the dark of night, hurricane force 120 mph winds ripped through the Muskegon/Grand Haven/Spring Lake area. We lost power for several days.

We also had two vehicles totaled that were parked in our driveway, as several huge limbs dropped out of trees in our front yard. I have pictures somewhere of our big white van with the roof caved in and almost every window smashed out. We were picking glass out of our driveway and lawn for months after. The two houses directly behind ours lost every tree in their yards; 6 or 8 trees, if I remember.

No damage to our house, though. We were very lucky. I actually stood out in the pool room during all that wind, trying to watch what was happening in the dark. I still can't believe I was that stupid, that I didn't have my family huddled down in the basement where we would be safer. I stood there, listening to the tremendous "thud" sound as enormous oak trees went down, one after another. We walked around our neighborhood the next morning, and it looked like the pictures you see on TV after a tornado had touched down. Tornadoes were soon ruled out, though. Our storms were described as "straight-line windstorms". But just as potent.

These condominiums in Spring Lake were toppled by the winds and later had to be torn down completely and rebuilt. I remember driving through this area a few days after the storms and thinking that it looked like a giant had stomped its way through here, leaving wreckage in its path.



The craziest thing was that it happened again in November of the same year. That time, we lost our power for eight days. And being November and being cold, it was much more miserable. That storm was great for our business, though, an auto body shop. November 1998 was a record month for us.

So now when I hear the wind howling and watch the trees bending and swaying beyond what seems possible, all those memories and fears come back to me. I'm afraid to go outside. I keep my eye on the skies at all times during daylight and don't sleep much during the night. I worry about my kids being at school. And I pray that it will stop. Very, very soon.

1 comment:

Leanne said...

I remember those storms!! Brycen was a baby and I wasn't breastfeeding so I needed water. It was awful trying to scrounge around for water when the electricity was out. All the water jugs at the store were gone. I ended up having enough to get us thru but it was terrible. I haven't seen anything like that since. But you're right to think that it could possibly happen again!

I remember those condos going down too. Luckily no one was hurt. At a different time, people would have been in them and killed for sure. How scary.

I do have one limb down today but luckily it's not a big one and no one was on the sidewalk at the time. Now I know what you meant about telling me to watch where my car is parked! I didn't know you had trees smash your vehicles! Ouch.

I still have power right now, but I hear some people in NS don't. Let's pray that it's getting better and also count the blessings that we have already....safety.