Sunday, October 4, 2009

General Conference

(My unfinished product)

Wow, I really enjoyed General Conference this weekend. Since I'm working on my Personal Progress now (yay for me!), I decided to do the project involving watching all sessions, taking notes, and making a Conference journal. I figured that if Jessica and I did this together, it would be fun! Unfortunately, she had so much going on yesterday she didn't get to watch the Saturday edition. And besides that, our power actually went out for about three hours in the afternoon, so I didn't get to listen to all of them, either. We will have to listen later or maybe just read the talks when they come out in the Ensign. I hope that still counts!

I've never really taken notes very seriously during Conference talks before. I found that it was both inspiring and frustrating. I got a lot more out of the parts I was able to scribble down, but I'm sure I missed a lot while doing said scribbling. Sure glad they will be out in print soon so I can see what I missed!

A few key points I jotted down:
* Sometimes the Lord reveals truths when we aren't seeking them. Strong emotions can overcome delicate promptings.~~Richard G. Scott
* The Savior is able and eager to forgive our sins.~~Neil L. Andersen
* Prayer is our personal key to heaven, and the lock is on our side of the veil.~~Boyd K. Packer
* Any believing Latter-day Saint is an optimist about what he/she may become.~~President Henry B. Eyring
* Hypocritical examples destroy credibility.~~H. David Burton
* Our Heavenly Father did not leave us alone in our time of probation.~~Ann M. Dibb
* Each of us can do something to help another. How often do we intend to be the one to help but day-to-day life gets in the way? Too often we are busy with what's really not important at all.~~President Thomas S. Monson
* Would Joseph and Hyrum have done what they did, knowing what would happen to them, their families, and their followers for some made-up book? For something that was not true? NO!~~Jeffrey R. Holland, whose testimony today of the Book of Mormon was one of the most awesome things I have ever heard.
* A call to the rising generation: Christ lives and is inviting you to follow him and he will make you fishers of men.~~Brent H. Nielsen
* Moral discipline must be learned at home. Children must be truly converted to the Gospel of Jesus Christ while they are with us.

Of course there are many, many more, plus I'm sure I'll make more notes when I hear the talks that I missed. It's so great to have these two weekends a year to get to hear the words of our Prophet and the leaders of the Church. So much to learn! So much to work on!

1 comment:

Leanne said...

You are awesome to take all of those notes! And you're crafty too! :)

I had to watch online and sometimes it gave me troubles, but I heard most of the Sunday messages. I guess I can go back to hear the Saturday ones or read them online. Funny, when I was a kid, I didn't look forward to General Conf at all. I think it was because we had to actually go to church and as a kid, sitting for 2 hours in a pew wasn't so fun. Now it's all different for me. I can't wait to hear what the messages will be that HF wants me to hear.

It sure is nice to be a grown up. ;)